Sunday 20 May 2012

Peanut Butter and Banana Cake

My obsession with peanut butter continues, I still can't seem to go a day without at least a tablespoon full of the stuff, and I've begun to make my own, so, I decided to have a treat and make a peanut butter cake..very exciting!!
I also wanted to make the cake wheat and gluten free too, as my tummy doesn't seem to take wheat very well these days, so I got set to work in the kitchen and began my peanut butter dream..

Ingredients

2 cups gluten free flour..
(http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/431022_Doves_Farm_Gluten___Wheat_Free_White_Self_Raising_Flour_1kg.html)
1 cup oatmeal
3 ripe bananas
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
2 heaped tbsp peanut butter
1 cup soya milk
8 tbsp soya marg
3 tbsp agave syrup
3 tbsp fruit sugar
1 cup sultanas
1 tbsp linseed (or flax seed)
3 tbsp warm water

Method

In a small bowl mix the linseed with the water and set aside for 20-30mins, this becomes egg like in texture and makes a great binding ingredient in replacement of an egg.
In a small pan melt the marg on a low heat together with the fruit sugar and agave syrup, once melted stir in the peanut butter and the bananas until all combined. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, add the linseed mix and stir, then add the soya milk and the melted marg mix, stir until all combined.
Transfer to a well greased loaf/cake tin and bake at 180oC for 40-50mins, let cool and enjoy.

I also topped mine with flaked almonds too..


and just had a slice now topped with a little coconut and agave syrup..yum :)



3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Will have to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your new follower! Seems we share a passion for yummy, healthy vegan cakes! Looking forward to reading more from you... Sarojini :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna! yes it's def worth giving a go, I've just devoured another slice with a cuppa this afty :)
    Thank you Yogi Vegetarian..I've enjoyed browsing through your blog recipes..the redbush masala chai sounds delish..think i'll give that a go soon as i love chai but don't have caffiene so that would make a lovely alternative, xx

    ReplyDelete