Monday 7 May 2012

Chocolate and Hazelnut Ginger Cake

Another great excuse to make a cake..and this time for a fairy and her fairy party!
I've been quite fond of the ol' ginger lately..and chocolate..so thought I would pair them together in a wholesome cake.

To make the cake I followed the same recipe I used to make the pirate buns (http://www.wutherswebofcakes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/treats-for-pirates.html ) except  I used spelt flour and a little wholemeal flour and I didn't put cocoa powder in the mix, instead I used it for the topping..

Ingredients

2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp boiling water
1-2 tbsp fruit sugar
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp ground ginger
and a handful of hazelnuts

Firstly ground the hazelnuts in a small blender until fine. 
In a small pan bring water to a boil, then gently heat the coconut oil on a heat proof bowl over the hot water, making sure the bowl is just skimming the surface of the water.
In a small bowl pop in the cocoa powder, fruit sugar and ginger and most of the ground hazelnut mix (save a little aside for topping the cake).
Then add the melted coconut oil and the boiling water and mix well until all combined.
Top your cake with the mix and then top the chocolate with the rest of the ground hazelnuts..then enjoy licking the bowl..yum!



The Fairy Party was a lovely cosy evening and I hope my fairy friend enjoyed her chocolate ginger fairy cake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment